That Perfect Summer Skin
Down here in little old New Zealand we have just wound our clocks forward an hour, beginning daylight savings. This is always my favorite time of the year. It’s light outside after school and work, the weather gets a bit warmer and the adventures begin.
Over in Australia I’m sure the weather is switching it up a couple of notches, and you’re all beginning to melt. Well, our beautiful northern hemisphere readers are probably waving goodbye to it officially being ‘summer’, and facing all sorts of different weather patterns.
I write this article particularly to gorgeous summer skin. No matter where you are in the world, skin love should remain constant through every season. Below I have included my top six tips and tricks to keep your skin looking and feeling great. So get ready, count down with me my gorgeous Reef readers, because there is a surprise lurking at the bottom of this article!
SIX - Stay hydrated.
This is super important, especially in the summer. At the risk of repeating every beauty article about skin, I am instead going to give you some tricks about how to stay hydrated without just leaving it at that.
When you wake up in the morning have a big glass of water.
At school and work, carry a bottle of water with you. You should try to aim for a bottle of at least 750mL.
After school try have another big glass of water, and then another before bed.
FIVE - Protect your skin.
Always wear sunscreen especially if you are a New Zealand or Australian babe. I’m sure the hours when the sun is hottest have been drummed in to you at school, but seriously, be super careful, because not only does sunburn and peeling look unhealthy, but it can be super damaging for you skin.
Wear a hat and sunglasses if you will be out of the shade, and look for loose fitting clothing. If you are pale, try covering your shoulders!
FOUR - That perfect tan.
When it comes to tanning, I am all aboard the ‘fake-it-til-you-make-it’ boat. I personally have light-medium skin with dark freckles. I use a tanning mousse every 3-4 days with a daily glow moisturizer in between days to keep my tan looking natural.
When it comes to tanning there are a few tricks you should bear in mind.
- If you shave, wax or hair remove, have a shower in the morning and use your desired method to get rid of your hair. (If you don’t that’s fine! You can skip this step). Use a decent exfoliator to get rid of any dry skin.
- Wait until the evening or afternoon to tan. While you can tan straight out of the shower, it is best to wait until your pores relax after being in the shower or bath. Otherwise, the tanning product can run into your pores and you are left with tiny brown dots where you have removed all of your hairs. J
- Use a tanning mitt. There is nothing more terrible than getting your tan all between your fingers, and giving away the illusion of your perfect natural looking tan.
- If you are using my suggested product, use two coats, waiting for the first one to dry before applying the second.
- Give yourself a decent amount of time to dry. Read a book in the bathroom, surf the net, tan with a friend and have a yarn. Seriously, the more time you spend drying, the less smudges you will have.
- My final tip is to make sure you sleep in some dark colored clothing. Avoid white, lying in bed for hours while your skin recovers, you toss and turn and your body sweats [in the New Zealand and Australia summer heat especially!] means you run the risk of getting tan on white bed sheets or pajamas.
My absolute favorite tanning product is Le Tan Mousse and Le Tan daily glow. I have included these links below:
THREE - A gorgeous body wash.
In the summer time, it’s imperative for me that shower time is refreshing. I try keeping the water slightly warm, as opposed to the steaming hot showers I enjoy in the winter. Using a seriously good body wash in the summer is also very important, with the hot weather coming on in, you will sweat more, and probably be spending more time in chlorinated pools and salty oceans.
In searching for a product for this article, I wanted something that was not too creamy or buttery, and something that smelled like summer to me. This shower scrub is super perfect for the summer time, and makes me want to have multiple showers a day.
TWO - Something extra for the shower.
I find in the summer that jumping from pool to ocean to long hot days at work my skin really does take a hammering. Keeping your skin looking gorgeous means paying extra attention to these problems. I recommend using a deliciously luxurious shower smoothie, or a coat of baby oil as a body conditioner before doing your final rinse off in the shower.
My NUMBER ONE product for gorgeous skin is Frank body scrub.
If you are like me, your morning coffee is your go-to whenever you are feeling sluggish, need a bit of wakening up and a kick-start to the day. The way I look at it, when summer comes a long your skin needs that kick-start too.
This beautiful coffee scrub will leave your skin heavenly smooth, delightfully lightly scented and looking a million bucks. Seriously, I cannot rave enough about this product.
Frank can be used on your face and body, it gets you HD ready, scrubs away any dryness and make-up and give your cheeks (both pairs) a healthy glow! The scrub is also perfect for minimizing the appearance of stretch marks, acne scars and skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
So now you’ve gotten to the bottom I bet you are wondering what the surprise is? WELL, I have something super special for the Reef Magazine readers. We are giving away to one lucky reader, our number one skin product the original frank body scrub. Linked below:
So, if you want a delicious pouch of frank body scrub, gifted to you on behalf of Reef Magazine, here is what you have to do:
1. Share this article with your friends. (Like it, reblog it, link it… go nuts!) You want your friends to have gorgeous skin too right?
2. So we know that you are actually entering this competition, all you have to do is message me (Rebecca) here.
[I understand some of you will be reblogging or liking this article just to put our photographers beautiful work on your blog, so please message to enter]
3. The final step, and how we will pick the winner is: In your message, tell me why you are the perfect Reef reader to win this prize. (Please include your country in your message).
(The nitty-gritty: Frankbody are not a part of this give-away it is an independent give-away hosted by Reef magazine and me (Rebecca). The winner will be picked at 7pm on Sunday the 22nd of October, New Zealand time. Once a winner is selected, I will contact them via Tumblr, and request they message me back with an address. (I will give them a week to respond)
Then the product will be shipped to them and they can get naked, get dirty and have a great old time with Frank (that’s the scrub).